A goal of mine for 2015 is to try and execute this nicely wrapped challenge to the human diet to remain a healthy weight. I’m sure you’ve heard it before…
“Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper”
It makes sense when you think about it. When you eat a big breakfast your body has all day to move and digest… when you eat a large dinner, you sit on the couch or go to sleep feeling like you swallowed a watermelon.
At first, I was all “I can’t eat 600 calories of cereal!” (Naturally… Special K girl all the way.)
Then I realized the key to making breakfast the largest meal of the day is either variety (bowl of protein-packed cereal, apple, and piece of buttered toast) OR this casserole dish.
- 8 eggs (we actually use 10-12)
- 10-12 asparagus spears, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 links/1 package of any sausage you like (I use turkey sausage.)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, microwaved or baked until mostly cooked
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 16-oz package portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Evenly spread the coconut oil in bottom of 9×13 baking/casserole pan.
- Beat the eggs together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place all remaining vegetables and sausage in the pan.
- Pour the eggs over the top and season with salt and peppers.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs are baked and set. A knife inserted will come out clean and the top will be a nice golden brown.
[…] Sweet Potato Sausage Egg Casserole […]
[…] P.S. Problem solvers & this all-star breakfast. […]