I feel like my house is put together if: the bed is made, there isn’t a mountain of dishes in the sink, and the counters are clear. Two relatively simple tasks, right? But for me, they seem to make all the difference. I wouldn’t say I’m a crazy clean person, but I do believe I flourish better in de-cluttered and clean environments. The floor doesn’t have to be spotless, all the laundry doesn’t have to be done, but I do like to feel ahead of the cleaning game. After talking about it with a friend, I realized there are a couple reasons why I take the time [most days] to make the bed, empty the sink, and clean the counters.
1. It simply looks better. Decorative pillows and straightened sheets make me smile when I walk in my bedroom, as opposed to a pile of sheets that cause a little stress.
2. I feel more productive for other tasks when our house is clean. Whether it’s designing a logo, reading a book, cleaning out a closet, etc, I feel more able to get stuff done. If there is clutter everywhere I am easily distracted by whatever I happen upon — dishes, shoes everywhere, etc.
3. I can find things quicker. I think the simpler I keep my material belongings, the easier this part of life will become. If things are put away, I can find them quickly when I suddenly need them. Not everything has a perfect, “permanent” place, but when I’ve taken the time to tidy up, I know where items are.
4. I feel more comfortable spontaneously inviting people over. Not that I think I have to reach some particular standard to be accepted, but I will confess that I’m more inclined to spontaneously invite people over if I know things are at least relatively picked up.
5. It helps our family thrive. I don’t have any kids yet, but I can tell that J and I get home from work, getting started with dinner is far more enjoyable if last night’s dirty dishes aren’t all over the counter. Can anyone else testify to this? I think that when we do have kids, it may seem silly to be sure we make the bed, or clean the dishes right after dinner, but in the long run, I think we’ll feel overall better suited to tackle the day.
Do you have any cleaning quirks like I do?
What is your favorite room in your home? Mine is probably our living room.