If I’m home alone on a Saturday morning (like this morning), and in the productive mood (like I was this morning), I can get more done from 7am to 11am than in an entire weekend (yes, I did).
I deep-cleaned the house (dust, dishes, vacuum, sweep, de-clutter), 30 minute Target errand run, purged our food pantry, organized the laundry room, organized our closet, ran 3 miles, watching the first half of The Holiday (one of my favorites), showered, dressed and out to my parent’s house by 1pm.
Like I said, highly productive. Not sure what came over me but I was pretty psyched about it.
Hear me, friends, not every Saturday is like this. But I value Saturday, and getting the most out of it. Here are my thoughts on how best to do that. Maybe you agree?
- Make a list – You’re reading a blog post by the queen of list-making. I get a slight thrill out of writing down every task and checking it off as I go.
- Happy, motivating tunes – This morning, I confess, mine was Michael Buble’s Holiday Pandora station (and it was fabulous).
- Hydration – This might just be me, because I’m a wateraholic. But, hot tea/coffee early in the morning, water or sweet tea… It’s helpful to hydrate when trying to be productive.
- Remember balance. This morning, I was ridiculously productive. But I’m writing this as I sit in my parent’s cozy living room with J on one sofa and my dad on the other, watching football and snacking on goodness. Tonight we’re all going out to eat. A good balance of relaxation, productivity, self-care, and family time.
- Teamwork. Spouse, parent, kid, sister… sometimes more than one set of hands for a task can make all the difference.
- Carve out some unhurried time to spend with Jesus. Weekdays tend to be slam packed, but the weekends offer a different kind of busyness. Instead of spending time getting ready for an 8-hour work day, I can spend that time reading or praying. Saturday morning isn’t for makeup or sophisticated clothes.
— Do you sometimes have a gameplan for Saturdays?