You know the days I mean. The ones where you kind of want to walk out the door and never come back. The stressful moments that leave tears on the brink. In 2015 I had many a moment like this. Sometimes I reacted well, others… maybe not so much. I get flustered easily when it comes to work — clients being slow and then demanding, a problem I can’t solve, etc.
I finally reached a point where I was tired of how the overwhelming moments were affecting me. So I came up with a new gameplan…..
1. Take a walk. Fresh air, a random conversation with a coworker, a walk to a snack. It makes a world of different. We work in a downtown area, and I have been known to take a stroll aroud
2. Find rockin’ tunes. It could be inspirational, relaxing, dance-worthy… whatever works for you. A Taylor Swift Pandora station will usually cheer me up and get me moving.
3. Take a couple of [genuine] deep breaths. I have a stand-up desk, which is fun and helps keep me engaged, and I can tell the difference in my posture and breathing. Making intentional steps to chill with something simple like this does result in relaxation.
4. Pray. Obvious, but revolutionary. Jesus, I’m about to explode, please help me is often one of mine. :)
5. Think before you speak. I’m a poster child here, wanting to respond or converse emotionally instead of sitting with it for a second, then moving forward.
— Any other tips you would add to the list?