“It’s not hard to decide what you want your life to be about. What’s hard, she said, is figuring out what you’re willing to give up in order to do the things you really care about.” Shauna Niequist
From the minute I read this line in one of Shauna’s books, it stuck with me. As I get older, I realize how important it is to prioritize, to be intentional with my time.
It’s okay to say No, to not do things just because someone else does them. They are living a completely different life than you. Say No and feel okay with it!
Here are some things I don’t do:
- I don’t wash my hair everyday. It’s curly, which means it doesn’t get oily, therefore I can go about 2-3 days without washing it and it still look okay. This saves me at least 20-30 minutes some days. Plus I’m good with a ponytail.
- I don’t deep clean until things are noticeably dirty. Other than sweeping the kitchen and keeping the sinks/toilets clean, the gap between deep cleanings is large.
- I don’t comment about public events on social media. I’m passionate, but I’m not one to air out all my thoughts on the internet.
- I don’t purchase gift bags for every present I give. The bag you open is usually recycled from a past birthday or Christmas. It doesn’t mean I don’t love you!
- I don’t go to everything I’m invited to. Sometimes it’s because we’re tired or busy, other times it’s because I simply don’t want to. #honestytime
- I don’t iron. Ever. I hold shirts and dresses up to my sister and ask “Would I have to iron this?” If the answer is yes, the shirt goes back on the rack.
- I don’t Snapchat. I don’t check-in when I arrive somewhere. I don’t play trendy iPhone games. It’s just not me. But no judgment.
- I don’t wash my jeans until I’ve worn them for about a week. I don’t even wash workout clothes after each use. Especially if it’s yoga or a walk, I’m re-wearing that tank top and sports bra again.
- I don’t watch live tv. We have an antenna, and we watch television via Netflix and Amazon Prime when we want to watch.
- I don’t balance my checkbook.
- I don’t drink soda. Never have, probably never will. Carbonation is not for me.
- I don’t do yard work. That may change if we ever get a garden or flowers that I enjoy, but I’m happy keeping the inside of our home happy and clean. J handles the outside.
- I don’t leave the house without a watch. I usually only take it off to shower, and feel disconnected without one.
- I don’t go out after 9pm. At a certain point in the evening, I’m not leaving the house. I’ll stay out late if I’m already out, but besides that, you can find me at home.
A handful of Nos which lead to some sweet Yeses:
Quality time with my husband. Hosting friends and family. A more generous life. Set aside time for reading, prayer, writing, or creating. Making our home a warm and peaceful place. Laughter and grace when things don’t pan out perfectly. Letter writing to friends. Focus on people instead of objects. Margin for rest. Daily exercise.