David Platt preached a sermon right when COVID-19 was blowing up all over the country and our computer screens, and many of his words have stuck to me like glue. He’s teaching from Matthew 6:25–33.
Anxiety is carrying concerns in this world in such a way that we lose perspective on life or lack trust in God.
I’ve copied a few of my notes, but if you don’t want to read them, scroll down and watch the sermon yourself. :)
- Your life is about more than anything this world offers you.
- You are God’s prized creation. Why are you worried about what to wear when God is going to dress you in eternal glory? Why are you worried about your paycheck when God is going to give you the whole earth as your inheritance? Why are you are worried about your position at work when you are going to reign in God’s kingdom forever? Why are you worried about your health when God has guaranteed you eternal life? Your life is about so much more than all these things that are weighing you down; your life is about trusting the God who eternally values you.
- Worrying never makes things better; it only makes things worse. It is completely counterproductive. Life is challenging enough as it is; why weigh yourself down with worry on top of everything else?
- Worrying is what the world does, not what God’s people do. If you don’t know God as your Father, you have a lot of reason to be anxious.
- God knows everything you need even better than you know what you need.
- He never runs out of courage when you’re afraid, He never runs out of hope when you are hurting, and most importantly, He won’t run out of life when you are dying.
- God’s mercies today are designed to carry our troubles today. And when tomorrow comes, if new trouble comes, new mercy will come with it. That’s guaranteed by God.