The summer days come and all I want to eat is bowls and bowls of cold salads. I’ve been making a variation of this recipe for years and it’s become a staple.
- ¾ cup couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup water
- 1-2 cups tomatoes
- 1-2 cups cucumber sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring water, butter and a pinch of salt to a boil. Add couscous, stir and cover. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake/stir well to combine.
- Place couscous in a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool completely.
- Add remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Toss to combine and serve.
Sometimes I add chickpeas, peas, carrots, red pepper, broccoli or whatever other raw vegetable we have in the fridge. Sometimes, like right now, I nix the feta cheese. Sometimes I don’t add the lemon juice. We’ll add grilled chicken and eat it as a meal or simply snack on it throughout the day. It’s easy to make it whatever you want!